Being pregnant has been such a surreal experience. Some days I have a hard time believing it, and other days I feel like I've been pregnant FOREVER. People always warn you about the aches and pains, the mood swings, the fatigue, the cravings....but they never warn you about the reactions you receive from complete strangers.
I'm not one who minds my belly being touched -- as long as I know you! I love when my mom, grandmas, aunts, friends, etc want to feel it! But, it kills me -- the complete strangers that walk up to you and put their hands all over your pregnant belly. It makes me feel like an animal at a petting zoo! And then, after this random being comes up to "pet" your belly, they feel the need to give their opinion about your size!
This is what I've come to notice -- the "pet" is usually followed by a comment like "Wow, you must be ready to go any day now!"...in which I sadly respond "No, I still have five more weeks." Then they look at me like I'm crazy or ask me if I'm sure there's only one in there (gee, thanks). Or, I get the comment, "Oh, you're so small!"...in which I then respond with a kind "Oh, thank you," but I'm really wanting to say "Stop trying to be nice! I have to ROLL out of the recliner, I no longer fit in the regular desks at school, and I can barely reach my legs to shave! I sure as hell don't feel small!" (I don't think it matters what you say, you can't win with a pregnant woman:) )
But, the other day, something really weird happened....
I was walking down the hall at work, when this giant man stopped me. He was probably about 6'5" and 250 pounds. Of course, I'm 5'3", so it doesn't take much to be considered giant in my book :) Nonetheless, the dude was huge. With this very deep voice, he asked "How's the baby doing?" I said "He's good so far!" He then proceeded to ask me his name, and I said "We're going with Nicholas." At this point, this 6'5" man bends over, puts his face right up to my belly and says "Hellooo Nicholas! I know you can hear me in there!!! Yes, I know you can!" Poor Nicholas, he had to be startled, as I was startled myself. I just stood there, looked at him, looked around -- realized the other nurses in the busy ER hallway were looking at us, patients in the hallway beds were looking at us...and I thought to myself --- Yes, this is it...this is the weirdest moment yet of my pregnancy.
That's when I made the connection. Pregnant women are like zoo animals....put on display, no matter where you go, for everyone to ooh, ahh, pet, and talk to :) It's just another part of being pregnant....
Until next blog ~ Court
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I understand completely.... I feel like a rare jewel as I get stared at everywhere we go.... and the questions and odd advice are neverending. I think I'm going to start a t-shirt company for pregnant women. I want mine to say:
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm pregnant. No, there are not 2 of them. We're naming HIM Carter. Please don't touch me and keep your labor stories and your baby-rearing advice to yourself. :)
I relished in all the extra attention at first and now, I'm over it. I hear it's worse when the baby is here... random strangers coming up and putting their paws all over our young... crazy mean people even with dirty bacteria crawling all over their hands.... I'll be one of those crazy moms who has hand sanitizer in every pocket. Oh... our poor babies. As if they wont get enough googly adults right in their face at home!
haha I think the T-shirts are a great idea!!! Oh, and yes, I'm sure I'll be a hand sanitizer freak too!
ReplyDelete