Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, March 13, 2009

But boy was it worth it!

Wow, I can't believe it's been over 3 weeks since I've posted. I'm a terrible blogger!!!

I last left you with a blog on how miserably pregnant I was -- and now, I return with an almost three week old baby to introduce! Oh, and the misery I was complaining of, was worth every minute!

Nicholas Tyler Beam was born February 22 (on his actual due date!) at 3:08pm. He was 8lbs 8oz and 21 1/2 inches long.

How it all went down: Since Valentine's Day I had been having contractions, but at 5am on February 22nd, my water finally broke and shortly after we were on our way to the hospital. Thank goodness it was early in the morning, because it made the 40 minute drive to Carmel much easier, as my contractions were much more intense after my water broke. We arrived at Clarian North around 630am, and I was already dilated to 6cm. I received my epidural, and I thought to myself "Oh, this is going to be cake!" After the epidural, I was feeling better than I had felt in two weeks. At 11am, the nurse came in, checked me, and said it was time to push. Suddenly, this fear came over me, as I realized this was it -- our lives were going to be completely different after this. Sure, these thoughts had already crossed my mind throughout the nine months of being pregnant, but it was so much more real at that moment. Then, what I thought was going to be an easy delivery turned into four long hours of pushing, multiple episodes of vomiting, a small episiotomy, and a short stent with the vaccuum...

While the whole event still seems so fresh in my mind, it's true when they say your brain has a way of forgetting about the pain...I would do it all over 100 times for him.

Then, 10 days after his birth, I had to write a research paper and return to clinicals. Thank goodness my hormones weren't too outta whack, as I thought they would've been -- because the school stuff on top of having a newborn at home, and recovering from labor is really enough to get anyone admitted to the psych ward! But, after a few good cries and lots of help from my Mom, I got it all done! Tim & I were so thankful for my Mom, as she took full care of Nick the week Tim had to go back to work and I had to go back to school. She truly was a lifesaver!

And, now here we are....going into week three. I am completely head-over-heels in love with Nick, and I couldn't be happier that he's here. It's so funny how life works out -- we had no plans for a baby, but now that he's here I couldn't imagine it being any different.

My days now are filled with feedings, diaper changes, and naps...and once you're a Mom, I've discovered that you actually get excited about baby poop -- who would've guessed?!

Here are some pictures of the little man that I get to spend my days with....what a lucky, lucky girl I am.





3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful baby!! I am so glad that all went well with teh labor and delivery. You are a Queen for still going to school at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you... especially now that you're done with school! That's awesome.... good for you getting it done.
    He's beautiful..... and I know he's well worth it all. So awesome that we both have 3 week olds! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I am so glad you posted more pictures! He is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete